Hamilton Health Sciences
Hamilton Health Sciences is Ontario’s most comprehensive healthcare system with five hospital sites and five specialized facilities in Hamilton and West Niagara. We operate McMaster Children’s Hospital (located within McMaster University Medical Centre, which also includes women’s health and adult outpatient care), Hamilton General Hospital, Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre, St. Peter’s Hospital and West Lincoln Memorial Hospital.
Our 15,000 staff, physicians, researchers and volunteers serve the health needs of approximately 2.3 million residents of Hamilton, Central South and Central West Ontario, from pre-birth to end-of-life. We are both a community hospital as well as a regional centre for an array of acute care services, including: cardiac, stroke, cancer, trauma, burns, neurosciences and pediatrics.
We are the largest employer in the Hamilton area. As an academic teaching hospital with more than 1,100 beds and an affiliation with McMaster University and Mohawk College, we are committed to providing exemplary health care while advancing excellence in education and health research. Hamilton Health Sciences has earned recognition as one of the world’s leading health sciences research organizations.
Partnership & Collaboration
Over the past 30 years, Hamilton Health Sciences along with McMaster University Faculty of Health Sciences has built mutually-beneficial relationships with many of the world’s leading health organizations from the public, academic and private sector. For this reason, we have established a reputation for maintaining the utmost level of academic research integrity.
Hamilton Health Sciences is one of the 25 most influential research communities in the world. With unprecedented growth of 155% over the last 8 years, Hamilton Health Sciences is also one of the most rapidly expanding research communities in Canada and the world.
Opportunities for collaboration and sponsorship abound, as scientists embrace partnerships between disciplines, institutions, government agencies and industry.
We welcome long-term collaborative opportunities for comprehensive research studies and trials which support and promote research programs that are of direct relevance to the clinical mission and strategic planning of Hamilton Health Sciences.
Our Caring Tradition
Today, Hamilton Health Sciences is a family of seven unique hospitals, an urgent care centre and a regional cancer centre, serving residents of Hamilton and Central South and Central West Ontario. The following is a brief timeline of Hamilton Health Sciences’ long and distinguished health care history.
A Family of Hospitals
1996 — Hamilton General, Henderson General, McMaster University Medical Centre, McMaster Children’s Hospital and Chedoke Hospital merged to form Hamilton Health Sciences; this union formed one of the largest teaching hospitals in Ontario, operating across four sites with approximately 8,000 employees and 1,000 physicians
2003 – Juravinski Cancer Centre joins Hamilton Health Sciences
2008 – St. Peter’s Hospital joins Hamilton Health Sciences
2010 – Henderson General Hospital is renamed Juravinski Hospital
Hamilton General Hospital
1848 — Hamilton General Hospital opened in a little house on the corner of Guise and John streets
1853 — The hospital relocated to an old hotel with a 70-bed capacity overlooking Burlington Bay
1882 — The General moved to its current site at the corner of Victoria Avenue and Barton Street where it continues to expand and grow to meet the needs of patients
2010 — The General is the region’s sole provider of specialized cardiovascular and neurosciences care as well as the trauma centre for Central South Ontario
1906 – Chedoke Hospital, located on Hamilton’s west mountain, opened as a tuberculosis sanatorium
1960 — When tuberculosis treatment changed and patients no longer required years of bed rest, Chedoke became a general hospital
2008 — Chedoke is no longer an acute care hospital, however, it continues to provide complex continuing care and child and family services to residents of Hamilton and the region
1917 — Mount Hamilton Hospital opened on Concession Street to help care for veterans from the First World War
1954 – Nora Frances Henderson Hospital opened as a 322-bed maternity hospital on the same site
2010 — Henderson General Hospital is redeveloped and named Juravinski Hospital. It is a centre for excellence in orthopedics, oncology and outpatient surgery
McMaster University Medical Centre
1972 — McMaster University Medical Centre opened and McMaster University’s medical school and its innovative curriculum were created
2010 — MUMC specializes in caring for the region’s high-risk women’s health and gastroenterology patients, and is home to McMaster Children’s Hospital, one of the country’s finest and most highly-regarded pediatric hospitals
McMaster Children’s Hospital
1988 – The concentration of specialized pediatric services at MUMC was recognized with the designation of the Children’s Hospital
2002 – The Children’s Hospital was renamed McMaster Children’s Hospital
Juravinski Cancer Centre
1984 – The cancer clinic, located at the Henderson General Hospital, became known as the Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre
1992 – The Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre opened in its new building, located beside the Henderson General Hospital
2003 – The Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre was renamed the Juravinski Cancer Centre
St. Peter’s Hospital
1890 – St. Peter’s Hospital opens
2008 – St. Peter’s Hospital joins Hamilton Health Sciences and continues to provide inpatient, outpatient, and community-based programs and services for seniors.
West Lincoln Memorial Hospital
2014 – West Lincoln Memorial Hospital officially joins Hamilton Health Sciences.
Hamilton Health Sciences - King West P.O. Box 2000
- Aaron Levo
- Cynthia Janzen
- Leslie Lamont
- Mark Farrow
- Rob MacIsaac
- Sandra Ramelli
- Syed Aman
- Ted Scott