Support for Musicians, Artists & Creative Industries
Support for Individual Artists or Businesses
- Website: Government of Canada
- Website: CBC Arts – Help and support for Canadian artists and freelancers
- Website: Music Canada – Online survey for musicians to provide feedback to help Music Canada understand and capture artists’ experience and convey their stories to all levels of government.
- Website: Canadian Live Music Association – Developed a list of resources for the Canadian Live Music Industry/businesses
- Website: Ontario Creates – Gathered a list of free and paid online professional development and training opportunities for the film industry
Financial Relief for Artists
Hamilton Arts Council
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Hamilton Arts Council (HAC) presents the Hamilton Artist Relief Fund and Online Performance Series.
The Hamilton Artist Relief Fund is focused on raising and distributing emergency relief funds for artists struggling during this difficult time and providing a curated online platform for local artists to present and perform to a virtual audience. 100% of the donations collected for the Relief Fund will be distributed directly to artists in need.
Learn more about this initiative here.
- Are you a practicing artist in need of support? Relief funding can be accessed through a simple application form. Please submit your CV and a declaration of artistic projects and earnings lost due to the pandemic. Relief fund amounts start at $100 to a maximum of $1,000 based on individual needs. Apply for relief here.
The National Arts Centre and Facebook Canada launched a new $100,000 partnership aimed at providing financial relief to performing artists whose livelihood has been cut off due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Artists in any discipline can apply for a $1,000 grant to support a 45-60 minute livestream performance planned between March 19 and 31. The funding will come from Facebook Canada. The NAC will receive and administer applications. To apply for the grant, performing artists should submit their name, a description of their performance, the date and the streaming platform (which doesn’t have to be Facebook). For more information visit their website.
Unison COVID-19 Relief Program
The Unison Benevolent Fund and The Slaight Family Foundation have launched the Unison COVID19 Relief Program for those whose work in the Canadian music industry has been impacted and require assistance, please register for Unison’s services. Funding will be allocated towards housing costs, medical expenses, and groceries for those in the music industry across Canada.
For more information please contact the Unison office by phone (1-855-986-4766, ext. 3) or by email at email@example.com.
Funding Updates for Artists, Creative Industries, Workers & Arts Organizations
- Website: Ontario Arts Council
- Website: Canada Council for the Arts – Information for Canada Council for the Arts grant recipients and applicants whose funded projects are impacted by COVID-19
- Website: Ontario Trillium Foundation – An update on OTF customer service supports during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Website: The Writers’ Union of Canada – Document your economic losses from the COVID-19 pandemic
- Website: Canadian Heritage Funding (CHF) – Information about CHF funding status
- Website: Ontario Creates – Supports musicians, film and writers: Includes updates on funding programs, tax credits, and other services
Free Virtual Professional Development Assistance
Ontario Presents: Offering to host online phone-based meetings free of charge to any Ontario-based artist, agent, presenters, or other art presenting industry professional who needs to host a meeting but does not have the means to do so. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Reach: Reach is offering free 30-minute meetings over the phone for music industry peers struggling with how to generate content to make money in the interim, and exactly what you can still “get done” remotely while we work through this. Contact Vanessa to schedule a meeting here.
Cancellation Policies & Resources:
Canada Council for the Arts: Information about CCA’s cancellation policy can be found here.
CAPACOA is asking you to track cancellations affecting the Canadian live performance sector here.
FACTOR: Information about FACTOR’s cancellation policy can be found here.
Ontario Arts Council‘s policies on COVID-19 can be found here.
Ideas & Tips to Connect with Audiences/Clients
Bandzoogle has put together this handy blog about how musicians can ask fans for support during the coronavirus pandemic found here.
I Lost My Gig is a support group on Facebook for folks from various disciplines in the Gig Economy to gather, listen, and share here.
MusicOntario will be reposting various updates, interesting content from the community, streaming events, and other tidbits.
Music Managers Forum Canada has an incredibly thorough resource page that is being constantly updated here.
Worldwide Independent Network has a list of resources for the indie music community across the work here.
Mental Health Resources
Unison Benevolent Fund: Has information about how they can help here, or you can call 1-855-986-4766 for inquiries to help you deal with the financial or emotional impact of coronavirus.