In an interconnected global economy, the new coronavirus (COVID-19) is affecting Canadian businesses and their operations. It has resulted in restrictions on travel and public gatherings, as well as supply chain disruptions and market uncertainty.
The Trade Commissioner Service has an unmatched network of over 1,000 business-savvy experts in 160 cities worldwide who help Canadian businesses trade, grow, and succeed. Trade commissioners can provide you with market-specific insights and guidance to help you mitigate the impacts of COVID-19.
- COVID-19 frequently asked questions for Canadian exporters (Export Development Canada)
- COVID-19: Managing the impact on global supply chains (Export Development Canada webinar)
- Contact a trade commissioner abroad
- EDC provides relief for Canadian businesses during COVID-19 crisis
Limited Foreign Entry
- Canada is barring entry to all travellers who are not Canadian citizens, permanent residents, a measure being introduced to stop the spread of COVID-19.
- There will be exceptions for air crew, diplomats, immediate family members of citizens, and cargo workers.
- No one who is displaying symptoms will be permitted to board a flight to Canada, and that air operators will be required to complete a basic health assessment of every passenger based on guidelines from the Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Note for businesses: The new border controls will not apply to trade and commerce in order to keep Canada’s supply chains open.
Resource: Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters
CME is in contact with federal officials who are overseeing the response to the coronavirus. They will share additional available information and welcome your concerns and input. Website: Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters
Hamilton Business Export Portal
As a growing and time-stretched company, we know that having a business resource concierge tailored to your business’s needs may help recovery and growth of sales by as much as 15% to even 25% annually. And the first step is getting on the Magnet Export Business Portal and being informed.
It works like a matching-app: Set your company’s profile and Magnet connects you to the best-fit business resources, COVID recovery information and export opportunities for your company, in as little as two minutes and four easy steps!
Step 1: Visit hamiltonexports.com and click ‘Create An Account’.
Step 2: Populate your company’s profile with the ‘Organization Profile’ tab on the sidebar. Input ‘Company Name / Industry / Markets Served / Organization Type’.
Step 3: Get matched to opportunities by setting preferences: Is your business already an exporter? Total gross annual sales revenue range. Export markets of interest.
Step 4: Plan for Success: Watch for notices directly to your inbox and click through the links and apply for grants, register for webinars, or go on a virtual trade mission.